New York City has always been a place of constant change. Skyscrapers rise, neighborhoods shift, and old buildings make way for new ones. One World Trade Center now dominates the skyline at 1,776 feet, but the story of tall buildings in New York started much earlier — with the completion of the World Building in 1890. Over the next 50 years, 16 skyscrapers taller than 600 feet were built across the city.
But for every building that went up, others came down. Dozens of stunning structures — theaters, hotels, mansions, churches, and banks — were demolished to make room for new development. It wasn’t until 1965, when the National Historic Preservation Act was passed, that the city gained stronger tools to protect what remained. By then, many irreplaceable landmarks were already gone.
This list takes a look at more than 50 of those lost buildings. Some were torn down for profit. Some were destroyed by fire. Some simply fell out of fashion. All of them left a mark on the city’s history.
The Hippodrome stood on 6th Avenue between 43rd and 44th Streets from 1905 to 1939. It was one of the largest theaters of its time, with a seating capacity of 5,200.
Entertainment venues were among the grandest losses. The Hippodrome on 6th Avenue was a true spectacle — seating 5,200 people, it ranked among the largest theaters in the country during its heyday. Not far away, the old Metropolitan Opera House, built in 1883 near Times Square, was the original home of the Metropolitan Opera Company. It hosted decades of world-class performances before being demolished in 1967, when the company relocated to Lincoln Center.
The Old Metropolitan Opera House was built in 1883 near Times Square. It was the first home of the Metropolitan Opera Company, but was demolished in 1967 and performances were moved to Lincoln Center.
Sports and entertainment collided at an earlier version of Madison Square Garden, located between Fifth and Madison Avenues at 26th and 27th Streets. That arena was demolished in 1926. The original Penn Station, completed in 1910, stood as one of the most architecturally celebrated buildings in American history — a grand Beaux-Arts structure modeled after the ancient Roman Baths of Caracalla. It was sold and torn down in 1962 to make room for a larger rail station and a new Madison Square Garden.
An early incarnation of Madison Square Garden was located between Fifth and Madison Avenues, and 26th and 27th Streets. The arena was demolished in 1926.
The Hotel Astor was built in 1904 at Broadway and 44th Street. It was demolished in 1967 and is now occupied by a high rise.
Hotels were another category hit hard by demolition. The Hotel Astor, built in 1904 at Broadway and 44th Street, was a fixture of Midtown life for over six decades before it was torn down in 1967. The Savoy-Plaza Hotel, built in 1927 on 5th Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets, met the wrecking ball in 1964. The Biltmore Hotel opened in 1913 on 43rd Street and Madison Avenue and served guests for decades before closing and being gutted in 1981. Even the original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, which combined the Astor and Waldorf Hotels and opened in 1897, was destroyed in 1929 — cleared away to make room for the Empire State Building. The hotel then relocated to 301 Park Avenue.
The Ziegfeld Theater on 54th Street and 6th Avenue opened in 1927 with a performance of Rio Rita. It was torn down in 1966 to make room for a skyscraper.
The Brooklyn Savings Bank was completed in Brooklyn Heights in 1894. While it was heralded as an architectural masterpiece, it faced the wrecking ball in 1964.
Lower Manhattan lost some of its most distinctive commercial buildings as well. The Singer Building, completed in 1908, served as the global headquarters of the Singer Manufacturing Company and was a defining feature of the downtown skyline. It was demolished in 1968. Nearby, the City Investing Tower — an oddly shaped structure — was razed in 1986. Hudson Terminal, a rail station built in 1909, closed in 1971 and was later demolished. The Gillender Building in the Financial District lasted only 13 years after its 1897 completion before being torn down in 1910 and replaced by a larger structure.
The New York World, New-York Tribune, and New York Times were all located on “Newspaper Row” near City Hall. The World and Tribune buildings were demolished in 1955 and 1966, respectively; the Times building still stands (though it’s no longer home to the newspaper).
The Singer Building in lower Manhattan was completed in 1908 and served as the headquarters of the Singer Manufacturing Company. It was demolished in 1968.
Newspaper Row near City Hall was once a hub of journalism in New York. The New York World and New-York Tribune buildings stood as monuments to the city’s press culture, but were demolished in 1955 and 1966. The New York Herald Building, headquarters of the Herald newspaper, was built in 1894 at 34th Street and Broadway and destroyed in 1921. The St. Paul Building, which opened in 1899 on lower Broadway and was named after the chapel across the street, was knocked down in 1958.
Located near the Singer Building, the City Investing Tower was an oddly shaped tower that was razed in 1986. Hudson Terminal, a rail station, was built in 1909, closed in 1971, and later demolished.
The Commodore Hotel was built in 1919 east of Grand Central Terminal. In 1980 it was completely remodeled, and is now the Grand Hyatt New York.
Wealthy families once lined Fifth Avenue with extravagant private mansions. The Vanderbilt family alone built several. The home of Cornelius Vanderbilt II at 57th Street and Fifth Avenue was the largest private residence ever constructed in Manhattan. William Kissam Vanderbilt’s “Petit Chateau,” built in 1882 at 52nd Street and Fifth Avenue, was demolished in 1926. The “Triple Palace” — a series of townhouses built for other Vanderbilt family members directly south on Fifth Avenue — was knocked down in the 1940s. Senator William Clark’s mansion on Fifth Avenue, built in 1897 with 25 bedrooms and 35 servants’ rooms, was the childhood home of reclusive heiress Huguette Clark. It was torn down in the late 1920s. Steel magnate Charles Schwab’s 75-room Riverside Drive mansion, completed in 1905, was publicly demolished in 1948.
The St. Paul Building opened in 1899 on lower Broadway and was named after the chapel across the street. It was knocked down in 1958.
The Gillender Building was completed in the Financial District in 1897, but stood for only 13 years. It was destroyed in 1910 and replaced by a bigger building that combined its neighboring lot.
Religious institutions were not spared either. Congregation Emanu-El built a temple at 43rd Street and Fifth Avenue in 1867. It was sold to the Durst family in 1926 and demolished the following year for commercial development. Temple Beth-El, constructed in 1891 at 76th Street and Fifth Avenue, was sold in 1945 and demolished shortly after. The All Angels’ Episcopal Church on the Upper West Side, built in 1890, featured a 2.5-story Tiffany window and a pulpit decorated with limestone angels. It was torn down in 1979 and replaced with a residential high-rise. The Church of the Disciples on 45th Street and Madison Avenue, built in 1873, didn’t even make it into the 20th century — it was demolished in 1899.
The Central Park Casino was a high-end restaurant and nightclub in the late 1800s. It was knocked down by parks commissioner Robert Moses in 1936.
The Germania Club House was a social club on Schermerhorn St. in Brooklyn. It was knocked down in the 1920s to make room for a subway.
Some losses carried deep historical weight. The Samuel Osgood House was the first presidential mansion, where George Washington lived for two years when New York City served as the nation’s capital. It was demolished in 1856. Astor House, which opened in 1836 in lower Manhattan and was considered the finest hotel in America at the time — counting Abraham Lincoln among its guests — was demolished in stages between 1913 and 1926. Richmond Hill, a 26-acre colonial estate in what is now Greenwich Village, was purchased by Aaron Burr in 1794 and razed in 1849.
In 1867, Congregation Emanu-El constructed a temple at 43rd Street and Fifth Avenue. It was sold to the Durst family in 1926 and demolished to make way for commercial development a year later.
The Washington Building, overlooking the Battery, was constructed in 1885, It was completely remodeled with a new facade in 1921.
Richmond Hill was a 26-acre colonial estate in what is now Greenwich Village. It was purchased by Aaron Burr in 1794, and razed in 1849.
New York’s prison history also left a strange footprint. The New York Tombs, built in 1838, housed courts, a police station, and a prison all in one complex. The foundation was weak from the start, and the building began to sink. It was replaced in 1902 by a new building, which was itself demolished in 1974. Tammany Hall, the powerful Democratic Party headquarters on East 14th Street, stood from 1830 until 1927, when it was demolished to make room for a new tower.
The impressive Church of the Disciples, located on 45th Street and Madison Avenue, did not make it into the 20th century. It was built in 1873, but was demolished soon after, in 1899.
The Savoy-Plaza Hotel was constructed in 1927 on 5th Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets. In 1964 it was torn down.
The Exchange Court Building in lower Manhattan was erected in 1898. In 1980 it was converted to a modern office building.
Some buildings had brief but notable runs. The Ziegfeld Theater opened in 1927 on 54th Street and 6th Avenue with a performance of Rio Rita, then was torn down in 1966 to make room for a skyscraper. Lewisohn Stadium, an open-air amphitheater on the campus of the City College of New York, opened in 1915 and was destroyed in 1973 to make way for a new academic center. The Central Park Casino, a high-end restaurant and nightclub dating to the late 1800s, was knocked down by parks commissioner Robert Moses in 1936.
Lewisohn Stadium was an open air amphitheater on the campus of the City College of New York that opened in 1915. It was destroyed in 1973 to make way for a new academic center.
The Vanderbilt family built a number of mansions on Fifth Avenue in the 1880s. The home pictured here, at 57th Street and Fifth Avenue, belonged to Cornelius Vanderbilt II. It was the largest private residence ever constructed in Manhattan.
William Kissam Vanderbilt’s “Petit Chateau,” built in 1882, was nearby at 52nd Street and Fifth Avenue. It was demolished to make way for a commercial building in 1926.
The “Triple Palace,” a series of townhouses also built for Vanderbilt family members, was directly south on Fifth Avenue. They were knocked down in the 1940s.
Commerce-driven demolitions claimed landmarks across many neighborhoods. The New York Produce Exchange Building, begun in 1881, was torn down in 1957. The Brooklyn Savings Bank, completed in 1894 and widely praised as an architectural masterpiece, faced the wrecking ball in 1964. The Union Dime Savings Bank near Bryant Park, which opened in 1906, was demolished in 1956 — the same year Wanamaker’s department store on Broadway and Ninth Street burned down and was demolished after catching fire. The John Wolfe Building in the Financial District, built in 1895, was demolished in 1974 simply to widen the street.
Construction of the New York Produce Exchange Building began in 1881 to replace an older produce exchange. The newer building was then demolished in 1957.
The Samuel Osgood House was the first presidential mansion, where George Washington lived for two years when New York was the nation’s capital. It was demolished in 1856.
The Equitable Life Building was built in 1870 in lower Manhattan. In 1912, it was destroyed by a fire.
The John Wolfe Building was built in 1895 in the Financial District. It was demolished in 1974 to widen the street.
A handful of these lost landmarks had outright strange stories. The Richardson Spite House, built in 1882 at 82nd Street and Lexington Avenue, was constructed purely out of personal grudge — its sole purpose was to block the view from a neighboring building. The four-story structure stood until 1915. The City Hall Post Office, which opened in 1878, was so poorly received for its design that it was demolished in 1938, one year before the 1939 World’s Fair. The Equitable Life Building in lower Manhattan, built in 1870, didn’t fall to a developer — it burned down in a fire in 1912.
The Cotton Exchange Building was completed in 1885 in Hanover Square. It later became the India House, a private club.
The original Penn Station was built in 1910. It was sold and demolished in 1962 to make room for a larger rail station and Madison Square Garden.
The ornate Navarro Flats, a luxury apartment building, were on Central Park South in 1882. In 1926 the building was sold and a number of businesses took its place.
The City Hall Post Office first opened in 1878. The design was not well received, and it was demolished in 1938, one year ahead of the 1939 World’s Fair.
Tammany Hall was the headquarters of the Democratic party for decades. The building on East 14th Street was built in 1830, and was demolished in 1927 to make room for a new tower.
The New York Tombs, a prison that also housed courts and a police station, was built in 1838. However, the foundation was weak and the building began to sink. It was replaced by a new building in 1902, which was later demolished in 1974.
The luxurious Biltmore hotel opened on 43rd Street and Madison Ave. in 1913. It closed and was gutted in 1981.
Built for Senator William Clark on Fifth Avenue in 1897, the Clark Mansion had 25 bedrooms and 35 servants’ rooms. It was the childhood home of reclusive heiress Huguette Clark, and was torn down in the late 1920s.
The Union Dime Savings Bank building first opened in 1906 near Bryant Park. It was demolished in 1956.
Wanamaker’s was a popular department store on Broadway and Ninth Street in the early 1900s. It caught fire and was demolished in 1956.
The All Angels’ Episcopal Church on the Upper West Side was lavishly appointed with a 2.5-story Tiffany window and pulpit decorated with limestone angels. Built in 1890, it was torn down in 1979 and replaced with a residential highrise.
Astor House, which opened in 1836 in lower Manhattan, was considered to be the finest hotel in America and counted Abraham Lincoln among its guests. It was demolished in stages between 1913 and 1926.
Temple Beth-El was constructed in 1891 at the corner of 76th Street and Fifth Avenue. The building was sold in 1945 and was demolished shortly after to make way for an apartment house
The Richardson Spite House was built in 1882 at 82nd Street and Lexington Ave. to satisfy a personal grudge by blocking the view of another building. The four-story building stood until 1915.
This home was built in 1884 at 68th and Madison Avenue for the President of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In 1912 it was destroyed to make room for an apartment building.
Steel magnate Charles Schwab built an ornate 75-room mansion on Riverside Drive, which was completed in 1905. It was publicly demolished in 1948.
The original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel opened in 1897, combining the Astor and Waldorf Hotels. It was destroyed in 1929 to make way for the Empire State Building and the hotel moved to 301 Park Ave.
The New York Herald Building, headquarters of the newspaper, was built in 1894 at 34th Street and Broadway. It was destroyed in 1921.
Hotel Piccadilly was constructed in 1928 on West 45th Street. In 1982 it was replaced by a newer hotel, the Marriott Marquis.
A “Victory Arch” was erected near Madison Square Park in 1919 after World War I ended. It was a temporary structure built of wood, and was eventually torn down.
Pennsylvania Station, originally built in 1910, and torn down in 1963 to make way for the construction of Madison Square Garden
Steeplechase Park, one of Coney Island’s last remaining grand amusement parks, with the intent of tearing it down and building “a modern Miami Beach high-rise.”
Brokaw Mansions, three lovely French Renaissance-style mansions once stood at the corner of 79th Street and Fifth Avenue. They were built for Isaac Brokaw, a clothing manufacturer, and his family, but later became the center of another building battle.
Sincere, friendly, curious, ambitious, enthusiast. I'm a content crafter and social media expert. I love Classic Movies because their dialogue, scenery and stories are awesome.
At this point maybe we need better infrastructure and citizen support than we do old buildings built at a time abiding by a rigid code would have been considered a joke.
Tear it all down and rebuild it stronger and better.
Buy maybe with more of the historic plaques about. I like those.
The Singer building was replaced by an ugly International Style building
There has to be a happy medium. My city has so many buildings on National registries that tearing down dilapidated, unused structures that cost too much to maintain or refurbish stands in the way of potential progress.
NYC lost tons of amazing architecture before such protections were in place. But still.
What city?
Baltimore
It’s like watching a horror movie. What a shame.
What happened in the mid to late 60s that saw so many buildings torn down?
At this point maybe we need better infrastructure and citizen support than we do old buildings built at a time abiding by a rigid code would have been considered a joke.
Tear it all down and rebuild it stronger and better.
Buy maybe with more of the historic plaques about. I like those.
The Singer building was replaced by an ugly International Style building
There has to be a happy medium. My city has so many buildings on National registries that tearing down dilapidated, unused structures that cost too much to maintain or refurbish stands in the way of potential progress.
NYC lost tons of amazing architecture before such protections were in place. But still.
What city?
Baltimore
It’s like watching a horror movie. What a shame.
What happened in the mid to late 60s that saw so many buildings torn down?